Monday, January 7, 2013

"confession of this blog"



as for me, photos are a way of recording what I see and how I feel in a silent motion. And it is probably my closest relationship with art.

I have used several different kinds of tools,  SLRs, digital cameras, film cameras, instant cameras and of course, cell phones. But my favorite of all ,  is digital cameras. They are small, portable, handy, and with the right choice they capture the moment just as amazing as expensive single lens reflex would do.  Most of times, they do render a rather plain image, but I love that simple texture too. I think they have a sense of reality.

I took photos for fun, never learned and studied anything about photography.  However, I do think my perspective of photography came from several resources that I was exposed to when I was young.

I was not a fan of photography when I was a kid, but I was very attracted by pictures in fairy tale books, traditional chinese water colors, Ghibli movies, and any kinds of watery color images. Now I think of Chritian Anderson's fairy tales, the pictures that accompanied the stories pop up on my mind. And I will be posting about all kinds of inspirational works I've encountered earlier in the blog.

However, most of time I prefer the view not the people.
(Well if people just happen to be in the picture, that is fine)
I love it when the picture reminds me of feelings I had at a specific moment.
As I consider all of my pictures sort of intimate, what I appreciate best is how pictures can provoke different interpretations when shared..

There was one time that my friend just had a break up and she saw one of my pictures on a social websites, later she told me that somehow that picture made her feel better and she used it as her pc's wallpaper. That one picture somehow had a healing power for her. That was the first time that I realized that the picture I've taken is mine, but it can also be more than that. And that is exactly what I am interested in for now--- the power of an image to speak for itself in ways that's open to interpretations and make people feel able to relate to. But the most important part it, the image has to be honest. I am not referring to photoshop or other kinds of post editing, but the part that it was taken in an honest way. That's a bit hard to explain, so I'll let my pictures speak for themselves.

And another reason that I prefer taking pictures of the "nature" rather than people is that I think any places look best when it's natural. People pose, but the nature always stay the same. yet, everybody would have taken different pictures even if they were asked to take photos of the exact same thing on the same spot. That is where the intimacy of the picture taker and the nature itself blends in. I could not explain clearly how I feel about it--- but in a nutshell, I love exploring all that.




No comments:

Post a Comment