Monday, January 28, 2013

A fantasy with Lynda Barry

Ever since I attended Lawrence, I have been to three convocations in total. the last two were merely memorable, but this recent one with Lynda Barry is definitely staying in my memory.

anyways, How could I not like this convocation when it started with such a beautiful piece of of music?

Lynda Barry herself was hilarious of course. But what I really liked is that she conveyed important ideas through funny and easy-to-understand manners, not many people could have done as well as her.  She talked about what is an image,  what has art done for us and so on. I especially remembers when she mentioned that, when a adult engages in creating art, his brain looks the same as a child who is in deep play. That stroke me at first, but then it makes so much sense. Honest artists bring the most innocent and primary parts of their senses and ideas to their work, that is exactly the same as a child in deep play, nothing else bothers him, nothing else interests him, it's only him and his fantasy world. That really touched me.

Another part that intrigues me is when Lynda told the story of asking people who gave up drawing in their early years to draw some simple patterns. She showed and described how the lines of their drawings were filled with thrill and terror. Somehow that silenced the whole audiences. That made me think about what art can do. And I do not think there is a simple answer, what I felt is complicated, and that sort of attached, shocking, melancholy feeling still remains. I probably have to ask myself about this for a while.

So I'd like to end this post with my favorite quote of this wonderful convocation, as for the same hearts of the art-loving folks out there

"we don't create a fantasy to escape form reality, we create them to stay."

No comments:

Post a Comment