Tuesday, January 29, 2013

antisocial ?

what is anti-social? I am a very social person on most of times
this is what I thought about this project at first. 

But if I have to tell a story with pictures to express the theme of antisocial, I will use pictures of food I took everywhere around the world.

Why?
I travel alone sometimes, I go dine alone, and I really enjoy it, maybe that's me being antisocial a bit?
I take photos of food with extensive carefulness, I think at one point they are talking to me through it.
When I do feel like being alone, I almost always eat, so food represents that antisocial part of me.
Then I think of all the weight issues and bulimia nervosa, I think food sometimes make people feel alone, and helpless.

Those are just my interpretations.
When I look at some really fine dishes, I feel happy. I know it has been made with full heart. I know a chef who has been cooking for over 40 years, he has won many awards in the field, he owned a big french restaurant in the U.S once, but now after retiring, he still wakes up every morning at 6 am to go shop for the best freshest ingredients of the day for customers of his little fusion restaurant in Taipei, Taiwan. He does not need to do it for money, or survival, he simply make food for customers because he likes to do.

From the photos you could possibly tell my obsession for all kinds of food, among one, there is japanese food. For that I'd elaborate a bit more, there is this most stunning documentary I've ever seen called "Jiro dreams of Sushi". There is this man who opened a sushi restaurant in Japan, and he makes possibly the best sushi in the world. He has been making sushi for his whole life now he is more than 90 years old, he still does it everyday. I think that's just where it touched me, the aspect of knowing to not take food for granted. Those delicate, warming, nutrient, delicious, pretty food are made with efforts and times. We should always appreciate them, even when alone!

So much to be said, here is the link to my flickr account : click me!
For the snapfish photobook layout, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment