Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A response to Evan Baden

    
       Last night the Lawrence Photography club welcomed this young, successful photographer Evan Baden to give a lecture to the Lawrence studio art community. I found the lecture really enjoyable, and even though I share differenct approaches and themes in terms of photo taking with our visiting artist, he was absolutely a blast!
 
       I am most drawn to his first series of photos, which according to him was shot when he was in graduate school. These bunch of pictures showing young people isolating themselves by getting to into digital devices are more than what they look like.. He mentioned he used multiple types of lights, and tried to get the the most workable exposure with jmultiple light resources, I was especially  fasinated how he used the very old version of ipods as illuminator to light up the different small spots in each of the picture. I completely agree with Baden that lighting is, if not the most, one of the most critical element of taking any photos.

      I have always been into pictures of the natural and city, so how Baden approached the ideas of the disconncected generation, young people wanting to be in the spotlight, the sexual and non-sexual facet of the youth behaviors, and he presented them by using photography, is definitely groud-breaking for me. I truly enjoyed his honest and hilarious presentaion of his ideas through his photography.
       
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment